Grilling or broiling the squash in this simple antipasto accentuates its nutty flavor.
- 2 medium yellow crookneck squash, cut lengthwise into 12 1/4-inch planks
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, softened
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped black olives
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp. finely chopped basil or mint plus 12 fresh basil or mint leaves, divided
1 | Heat grill or grill pan to high. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush squash on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
2 | Grill squash 6 to 8 minutes, turning once. Transfer to plate to cool.
3 | Combine goat cheese, olives, lemon zest, and chopped basil; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4 | Arrange squash slices on cutting board; spread 2 tsp. goat cheese mixture on each slice, and set 1 basil leaf on top of goat cheese at narrow end. Roll slices up from narrow end, and arrange on prepared baking sheet. (If not serving right away, refrigerate, and bring to room temp before reheating.)
5 | To serve: Preheat oven to 375°F. Warm roulades 4 to 5 minutes, or until warm but not hot.
- Calories: 51
- Carbohydrate Content: 1 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 49 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g