Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This rustic soup highlights the tangy sweetness of good summer tomatoes.
1. Score X on bottom of each tomato with paring knife. Place tomatoes in large bowl, and cover with boiling water. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Peel away skins, and roughly chop tomatoes, discarding skins and cores.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, and cinnamon; sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is golden. Add tomatoes and thyme; sauté 5 minutes more. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat, and purée with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Cool soup to room temperature. Ladle soup in 1/2-cup silicone molds or muffin pan cups. Press plastic wrap over surface of molds to seal out air. Freeze 4 hours, or until completely solid, then transfer to freezer bag for long-term storage. Defrost in microwave or in saucepan on stove top.
- Calories 102
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 102 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g