Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This dense, crusty loaf calls for flaxseeds in three different forms: soaked, ground, and whole (raw) for decorating the top.
1. Place 1/2 cup flaxseeds in bowl, and cover with 3 inches water. Let soak overnight.
2. Combine sugar, yeast, and 2 cups warm water in measuring cup. Let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is cloudy and smells yeasty.
3. Grind remaining 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs. flaxseeds in coffee grinder. Stir together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, and salt in large bowl. Drain soaked flaxseeds, and stir into flour mixture. Add yeast/water mixture, and stir until smooth dough forms, adding up to 1/4 cup more water, if necessary.
4. Transfer dough to well-floured work surface. Knead 7 to 10 minutes, or until dough is smooth and no longer sticks to your fingers, adding flour as needed. Shape into ball, and place in large bowl coated with oil. Cover, and let rise in warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size. Punch down, reshape into ball, and let rise 1 hour more.
5. Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat large baking sheet with oil or cooking spray. Shape dough into tight ball, and place on prepared baking sheet. Brush dough ball with water, and sprinkle with flaxseeds. Cut a tic-tac-toe crisscross in top of loaf. Bake 45 minutes to an hour, or until loaf is dark brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on wire rack at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Calories 197
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 1 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5.5 g
- Sodium Content 223 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g