Chia is also the secret to keeping the smoothie thick, even at room temperature. For best results, grind the chia ahead of time in a clean coffee grinder or spice mill. If you can’t find cacao nibs, substitute chocolate chips, or add 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso for an extra boost.
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 4 cups plain, vanilla, or chocolate almond milk
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup (4 scoops) unflavored or vanilla hemp protein
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. cacao nibs, optional
- 1 Tbs. coconut sugar, optional
1. Grind chia seeds to fine powder in coffee grinder or spice mill.
2. Transfer to blender, and add almond milk, banana, hemp seeds, protein powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla, and blend until creamy.
3. Add cacao nibs and sugar, if desired, and process to desired consistency.
- Calories: 245
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 185 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g