Super Seeds Chocolate Smoothie
Chia and hemp seeds add omega-3 fats, protein, and fiber to this rich, chocolaty treat.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Chia is also the secret to keeping the smoothie thick, even at room temperature. For best results, grind the chia ahead of time in a clean coffee grinder or spice mill. If you can’t find cacao nibs, substitute chocolate chips, or add 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso for an extra boost.
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 4 cups plain, vanilla, or chocolate almond milk
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup (4 scoops) unflavored or vanilla hemp protein
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. cacao nibs, optional
- 1 Tbs. coconut sugar, optional
1. Grind chia seeds to fine powder in coffee grinder or spice mill.
2. Transfer to blender, and add almond milk, banana, hemp seeds, protein powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla, and blend until creamy.
3. Add cacao nibs and sugar, if desired, and process to desired consistency.
- Calories 245
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 12 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 185 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g