A bamboo sushi mat (found in Asian markets and cookware stores) or plastic wrap can be used to make these rolls.
Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 1/2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. chili oil
- 1 1/2 lb. asparagus spears, trimmed
- 4 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups cooked short grain rice
- 6 to 8 nori sheets (toasted seaweed)
- 3 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 6 oz. smoked or baked teriyaki tofu, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
1. To make Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
2. Cook asparagus in pot of boiling salted water 3 minutes. Drain.
3. Stir together vinegar, sugar, and salt in bowl. Add to rice, and mix well.
4. To assemble Sushi Rolls: Place one nori sheet shiny side down on bamboo mat or sheet of plastic wrap. Spread with ½ cup rice, leaving ½-inch border along edges. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. sesame seeds. Place 2 asparagus just below center, top with tofu and 2 Tbs. carrots. Pull border of nori over rice, using mat as aid, and roll into tight cylinder. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Chill up to 3 hours. Slice rolls into 6 to 7 pieces with sharp knife. Serve with Ginger-Soy Dipping Sauce.
- Calories: 77
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 219 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g