30 minutes or fewer
This tasty combination goes from pan to table in no time. Because stir-frying is so fast, have all ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking. Meal Plan: Prepare a 6-serving portion of quick-cooking brown rice to mop up the delicious sauce. A salad of sliced cucumber and watercress would add a refreshing note to the meal.
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 Tbs. honey or brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 to 10 slender stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu, well drained and finely diced
Make sauce: In small bowl, stir together all ingredients until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 minutes.
Add bell peppers and asparagus, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and pineapple chunks and stir-fry 5 minutes more.
Stir in tofu and reserved sauce and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust sweet/sour balance to your liking with additional honey, vinegar and/or soy sauce. Serve hot.
- Calories: 158
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 467 mg