This tasty and healthy stir-fry goes from pan to table in no time. Because stir-frying is so fast, it’s important to have all ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking.
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 Tbs. brown-rice syrup
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 to 10 slender stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks,drained, juice reserved
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu, well drained and diced
To make sauce, in small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
Add bell peppers and asparagus, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and pineapple chunks, and stir-fry 5 minutes.
Stir in tofu and reserved sauce and cook, stirring until mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor with additional honey, vinegar and/or soy sauce. Serve immediately.
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 440 mg