Because stir-frying is so fast, it’s important to have all ingredients measured out and ready before you start cooking.
MEAL PLAN: Prepare a 6-serving portion of quick-cooking brown rice to soak up the delicious sauce. A salad of sliced cucumber, watercress and yogurt would add a refreshing note to the meal.
- 1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 8 to 10 slender stalks asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 16-oz. can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 8 oz. extra-firm tofu, well drained and finely diced
- 3 Tbs. rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 Tbs. honey or brown rice syrup
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
Make sauce: In small bowl, stir together all sauce ingredients until cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 8 minutes.
Add bell peppers and asparagus, increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid) and pineapple chunks and stir-fry 5 minutes.
Stir in tofu and reserved sauce and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and adjust sweet/sour balance to your liking with additional honey, vinegar and/or soy sauce. Serve at once.
- Calories: 158
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 467 mg