Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
This dish combines the classic and much-loved sweet-sour flavors of China. Delicious served on its own, this generously portioned stir-fry also works well as a topping for Asian rice or egg noodles. Accompany this with vegetarian dumplings and finish with a delicate fruit sorbet.
1. Combine pineapple juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch, and mix well. Heat in small saucepan until slightly thick, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large wok over medium and, when hot, add cashews, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside. Add tofu, pineapple cubes and snow peas, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add red bell pepper, garlic and ginger, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sweet-and-sour sauce, stirring to mix well, and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
3. Remove from heat, garnish with cashews, if using, and serve alone or over rice or noodles.
Match a wine with the tartness of the vinegar and sweetness of the pineapple to highlight the acidity in wine. Try a Riesling or Gamay.
- Calories 306
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10.5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 398 mg
- Sugar Content 29 g