Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Santa Fe Farmers Market vendors Jake and Leona West always have plump sweet potatoes near the end of the market season. The potatoes are paired with tangy apples, which the Spanish brought to the Rio Grande Valley in the 18th century.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Butter shallow medium-sized baking dish.
2. To prepare bread crumbs: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over medium. Stir in bread crumbs and toast until golden, stirring occasionally. Scrape bread crumbs from skillet, and set aside.
3. Steam sweet potatoes and apples over simmering water until tender, about 25 minutes. Mash or rice sweet potatoes and apples together in mixing bowl. Stir in remaining butter, cider, sage, nutmeg, salt, cayenne and bourbon, if using. Mixture should be somewhat thick but spoonable. Scoop sweet potato-apple mixture into prepared dish, smooth surface and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
4. Bake about 25 minutes, until heated through and golden brown and crunchy on top. Serve hot.
If you had to pick one white wine to pair with your Thanksgiving meal, consider Riesling. With this dish’s fruity sweetness, offer Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese.
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 50 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 260 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g