This veggie-laden version of a pub favorite gets a healthful flavor boost from sweet potatoes. To make it vegan, simply omit the Parmesan or use vegan Parmesan.
Sweet Potato Topping
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (1/4 lb.)
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk or plain soymilk
- 1 Tbs. nonhydrogenated margarine or butter
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 11/2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 leek, white part thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 turnips, diced (1 cup)
- 1 carrot, diced (1/2 cup)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (2 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup white wine or water
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs. shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
1. To make Sweet Potato Topping: Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato, cover, and boil 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and return to pot. Mash with milk, margarine, cinnamon, and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and leek, and sauté 5 to 6 minutes, or until leek is soft. Add turnips, carrot, thyme, and rosemary; cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until carrot begins to soften.
3. Add wine, and cook 30 seconds to deglaze pan. Stir in beans and broth. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes, or until carrots and turnips are soft. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Remove thyme sprigs from Filling, and discard. Pour Filling into 2- or 3-qt. casserole dish. Spread Sweet Potato Topping over Filling. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place casserole on baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and cheese has melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
6. Frozen cooking instructions: Preheat oven to 375°F. Cover casserole, and place on baking sheet. Bake 60 to 75 minutes, or until filling bubbles and top is golden. Remove foil during last 10 minutes of baking. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Cholesterol Content: 0.5 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 176 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g