VT staffers gave these slightly sweet treats high marks. Top them with sweetened whipped cream or yogurt and fresh berries for a tasty summer dessert.
- 2 small zucchini (2/3 lb.), coarsely grated
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts pieces
1. Sprinkle zucchini with salt, stir to combine, and let stand 30 minutes. Squeeze moisture out of zucchini with hands, removing as much liquid as possible. Transfer to small bowl.
2. Whisk eggs until frothy in separate bowl. Whisk in ricotta and sugar. Stir in flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Fold in raisins, walnuts, and zucchini.
3. Add butter or oil to large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop 2 heaping Tbs. batter onto skillet for each pancake. Spread into 3-inch pancakes, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until bottom is lightly brown. Flip pancakes, and flatten slightly with spatula. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until golden and firm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot.
- Calories: 282
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 123 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 458 mg
- Sugar Content: 21 g