Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
We eat with our eyes first, as they say, and our eyes are feasting with this colorful salad. With the orange citrus, pink onion, green leaves, and golden curry-roasted garbanzos, this bowl is truly giving Skittles a run for its ‘taste the rainbow’ money. But this vegan Swiss chard salad isn’t just about good looks. You’ve also got a ton of nutrients packed in there – and it’s a great way to use up produce that might otherwise go to waste. While it calls for leaves, you can also chop up and use some of the mild-flavored and fibrous stems for added texture and to keep them out of your compost bin.
Swiss Chard Salad with Curried Chickpeas and Orange Vinaigrette
From Clean Eating
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll chickpeas between two layers of paper towel to dry completely. Remove any loose skins and discard. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet; toss with 1 tbsp oil, curry powder and ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper. Roast until crispy, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely on pan.
2. Meanwhile, in a small pot on medium-high, bring ½ cup vinegar and honey to a boil. Place onion in a heat-proof bowl. Pour mixture over onion. Cover and let cool, about 20 minutes.
3. Zest 1 orange and place zest in a small bowl. Using a sharp knife, slice off the top and bottom of each orange. Using downward strokes, remove peel and pith. Cut between membranes to remove segments and place in a large bowl. Over the bowl with zest, squeeze membranes to remove any remaining juice. Whisk in 1 tbsp vinegar, Dijon, remaining 3 tbsp oil and ⅛ tsp each salt and pepper.
4. To the bowl with orange segments, add chard, cucumber, pickled onion and chickpeas. Drizzle with dressing and toss to combine.
- Serving Size 1/6 of recipe
- Calories 194
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 336 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 8 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g