Swiss Chocolate-Almond Tart
A gluten-free dough made from almond meal, cornstarch, and egg white bakes into a light, crispy crust for this nutty chocolate tart. When using the crust with other fillings, you can omit the almond extract.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Ground nuts can be a winning alternative to wheat flour. Almond meal proves the point as the basis for the crunchy, sweet crust of this chocolate custard tart.
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed almond meal or almond flour
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 12-oz. can low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
1. To make Crust: Beat egg white with electric mixer until pale and frothy. Beat in sugar and salt, then almond meal, cornstarch, butter, vanilla, and almond extract (if using). Chill 15 minutes.
2. Roll out dough on work surface dusted with cornstarch or between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap. Coat 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Press Crust into prepared pan, and trim edges.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line Crust with foil or parchment paper, and fill with dried beans. Parbake Crust 8 minutes.
4. To make Filling: toast almond slivers on baking sheet in oven 5 minutes.
5. Bring evaporated milk, coconut milk, and sugar to a boil in saucepan. Place chopped chocolate in heat-proof bowl, pour milk mixture over top, and whisk until chocolate is melted. Return to saucepan, and return to a boil.
6. Whisk eggs in same heat-proof bowl. Whisk chocolate mixture into eggs. Pour hot chocolate mixture into Crust. Bake 10 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool, then sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Calories 384
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 58 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 172 mg
- Sugar Content 30 g