This salad is chock-full of vegetables and can be served as either a main or side dish. You can substitute a five-ounce box of tabbouleh mix for the bulgur if you like; just omit the seasoning packet.
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced (1 cup)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 oz. crunchy sprouts, mixed bean sprouts or radish sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 to 4 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain in fine-meshed sieve and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium skillet, combine asparagus and 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer over high heat for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Return asparagus to skillet with bell pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
In large bowl, combine asparagus mixture, cooled bulgur and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Add remaining ingredients except lettuce and toss well. Serve over lettuce leaves.
- Calories: 159
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 283 mg