30 minutes or less This salad is chock-full of vegetables and is great as either a main or side dish. You can substitute a 5-oz. box of tabbouleh mix for the bulgur; just omit the seasoning packet.Meal Plan: Toasted pita triangles served with hummus would make a nice accompaniment to this dish.
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 lb. thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 (4-oz.) pkg. crunchy sprouts, mixed bean sprouts or radish sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 to 4 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint (optional)
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in medium skillet, combine asparagus pieces and 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer over high heat, 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Return asparagus to skillet with bell pepper and 1 Tbs. olive oil. Cook over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
In large bowl, combine asparagus mixture, cooled bulgur and remaining
Tbs. olive oil. Add remaining ingredients except lettuce and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over lettuce leaves.
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 417 mg