Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Savory pastries made with rolled and folded brek pastry leaves, or warka, are common starters in North Africa. Here, easy-to-find phyllo sheets replace the specialty brek leaves and encase a savory potato-and-egg filling.
1. Place potato slices in medium pot, and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over high heat, reduce heat to medium, and cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Transfer to large bowl, and coarsely mash with fork.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat, and cook onion 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tabil, and cook 1 minute more. Stir onion mixture, parsley, and beaten egg into potato mixture. Fold in hard-boiled eggs and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1 sheet phyllo with long side facing you. Brush with butter, and fold in half like a book. Cut crosswise to make 2 stacked rectangles. Spoon 2 Tbs. potato mixture on center right edge of one rectangle, fold in top and bottom edges, and roll up like an egg roll. Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet, and repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. Brush rolls with remaining butter, and bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Serve hot.
- Calories 101
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 47 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 95 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g