Tea-crusted Tofu Over Greens
By W. Taylor Park and Gina Mortillaro…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
By W. Taylor Park and Gina Mortillaro
- 1 tsp. mirin, Japanese rice wine
- 1/2 oz. galanga root, peeled and grated
- 4 bags green tea with 1 cup boiling water, reduced by half
- 1 tsp. brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp. organic Sucanat
- 2 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1 shallot, roasted
- 3 Tbs. honey
- 3 drops Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids
- 4 Tbs. mango puree
- 3 drops Ume Plum Vinegar
- 1 lb. block Nasoya Tofu, extra firm; bake tofu for 20 minutes if too moist.
- 1 each Bosc or Asian pear, sliced but not peeled
- 1 beet, boiled with skin on, cooled and diced
- 1 Tbs. Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. green tea, loose, or 2 green tea bags opened
- 1 cup water, boiled
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/8 tsp. Herbamare Seasoning
- 8 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Salad Greens
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved, or pear tomatoes, quartered
- 8 each parsley sprigs
Pour boiling water over tea in medium bowl. Steep for 3 minutes, strain and reserve tea. Discard tea leaves.
Combine tea, onions and remainder of ingredients; set aside.
Cut tofu into 8 slices. Dry on paper towels to remove moisture.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium to high heat.
Add 2 teaspoons of green tea, sesame seeds and salt. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Arrange tofu on tea mixture and sauté 6 minutes, or until golden brown, turning after 3 minutes. Place tofu on paper towel.
Combine greens, pears and tomatoes in large bowl.
Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss well. Arrange 1 cup salad greens on each plate. Top each serving with two tofu slices.
Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Frey Organic Pinot Noir
- Calories 0
- Carbohydrate Content 0 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g