This simple recipe can be assembled the night before and prepared in the morning for a weekend breakfast or brunch. Or use it for a delicious tempeh BLT with baby greens and perfect cherry tomatoes. The tempeh strips can be left marinating in the fridge 2 to 3 days. Just be sure to eat the bacon as soon as it's cooked—otherwise, it may lose its crispness.
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, sliced into 24 very thin slices
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke, optional
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
1. Lay tempeh slices in 2 13- x 9-inch baking dishes. Bring soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, cumin, ancho chile powder, and ½ cup water to a boil in small saucepan. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat, and stir in liquid smoke, if using. Pour over tempeh slices. Let cool, then cover and chill 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Carefully transfer tempeh slices to prepared baking sheet, and discard marinade.
3. Brush slices with canola oil, and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Flip tempeh slices, brush with oil, and bake 5 to 7 minutes more, or until crisp and dark brown.
- Calories: 24
- Carbohydrate Content: 1 g
- Fat Content: 1.5 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 31 mg