This filling entrée tastes like it’s been simmered for hours instead of just 20 minutes. To sweeten the slightly bitter sauce, stir in 1 Tbs. agave nectar with the mustard and use 11/2 cups beer and 1 cup water. Serve over rice or Mashed Potatoes with Chives.
- 1 7-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 10 oz. cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups lager, such as Samuel Adams
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 green onions, white and green parts finely sliced
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook tempeh cubes 7 to 10 minutes, or until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Add soy sauce, and cook 2 minutes, or until pan is almost dry. Transfer tempeh to paper-towel-lined plate.
2. Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil and all mushrooms to pan, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Sauté mushrooms 10 minutes, or until browned and slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until flour begins to brown, stirring constantly. Increase heat to medium-high, add beer and mustard, and bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Stir in tempeh cubes, and simmer 5 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with green onions.
- Calories: 318
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 475 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g