This salad spread is great on its own, but it also makes a good replacement for egg salad. Try it served on crackers for an appetizer.
- 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, preferably a wild rice blend
- 1 Tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. umeboshi vinegar or red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
Cut tempeh in half crosswise. Cut again in half lengthwise to yield four pieces. Steam tempeh over simmering water 20 minutes. While tempeh is still hot, crumble into bowl. Add tamari, vinegar (if using) and hot sauce. Bring to room temperature.
Add remaining ingredients, mix well and adjust seasonings to taste.
Spoon tempeh mixture onto half of bread slices, top with desired amount of lettuce and tomatoes and cover with remaining bread.
- Calories: 294
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 800 mg