Hot casseroles often use wheat products as thickeners. Here, potato starch and brown rice flour do the job. You can use any gluten-free pasta in this recipe.
- 8 oz. baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari
- 1 14-oz. pkg. brown rice fettuccine
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced (11/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup Madeira, sherry, or apple juice
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard
- 4 cups gluten-free vegetable broth
- 2 cups low-fat sour cream
- Pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika) or sweet paprika for garnish
Toss together mushrooms, tempeh, and tamari in medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
Combine starch, flour, mustard, and nutmeg in resealable plastic bag. Add mushrooms and tempeh, and shake to coat. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and tempeh 8 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining oil to skillet. Sauté onion 4 minutes, or until softened. Transfer to bowl with tempeh.
Increase heat to medium-high, and add Madeira to pan. Cook 3 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated, scraping to remove tempeh and vegetables bits stuck to pan. Stir in Swiss chard, and cook 2 minutes, or until wilted. Return tempeh mixture to skillet, and stir in broth. Stir in sour cream. Ladle over pasta, and sprinkle with pimentón.
- Calories: 644
- Carbohydrate Content: 94 g
- Cholesterol Content: 41 mg
- Fat Content: 20 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 542 mg
- Sugar Content: 10 g