Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
POV: It’s one of those evenings where you’re one email away from curling up under the table in an exhausted heap – but you’re also hungry. You could go out to eat, but how could you possibly be expected to pick a restaurant when you’re already mentally fried? So, cooking something it is, but it’s got to be comforting, simple, and really, really fast. Enter these vegan tempeh tacos with a creamy cashew sauce.
These tempeh tacos are not high art, they are not a mole with 23 ingredients, they are not long-simmered. We love all those things, but we’re just not always up for making our own on a Tuesday night. What they are, however, is super-fast (literally minutes; count up the times in the recipe if you don’t believe us) and satisfying. The creamy vegan sauce is a great texture and temperature play with the tempeh; obviously your favorite bottled hot sauce and/or salsa would be a welcome addition to the party too.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Gluten-Free Lentil Quinoa Taco Pie
Miyoko Schinner’s King Trumpet Mushroom Carnitas Tacos
Adobo Tofu and Portobello Tacos with Chunky Guacamole
Vegan Tempeh Tacos with Creamy Cashew Sauce
1. Prepare sauce: In a blender, purée all sauce ingredients and 5 tbsp water until smooth.
2. In a large skillet on medium-high, heat oil. Add onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add chile powder, cumin, salt and pepper and cook, stirring for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tempeh and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until golden, stirring frequently.
4. Divide tempeh mixture among tortillas, top with cashew sauce and optional garnishes of your choice.
- Serving Size 2 tacos
- Calories 341
- Carbohydrate Content 29 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 20 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 331 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 4 g