Blending part of the sweet potatoes into the broth of this hearty dish yields a rich, creamy curry base without an excessive amount of coconut milk.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 large shallots (1/2 cup)
- 11/2 Tbs. red curry paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 8-oz. can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (21/2 cups)
- 3/4 lb. green beans
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- Basil or cilantro leaves, for garnish
1 | Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, and sauté 5 minutes. Add curry paste, garlic, and ginger, and sauté 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add 2 1/2 cups water and reserved pineapple juice. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1 cup sweet potato chunks, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
2 | Blend mixture in saucepan with immersion blender or in blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan, add remaining 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in pineapple chunks, green beans, and coconut milk; cover; and simmer 7 to 10 minutes, or until green beans are crisp-tender. Garnish with basil, and serve.
- Calories: 148
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 294 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g