Pale-green Romanesco broccoli and black rice give this dish a gorgeous color contrast, but you could also use white or brown rice and cauliflower or broccoli florets.
- 1 head Romanesco broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup black or forbidden rice
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 Tbs. tom yum hot-and-sour soup paste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup roasted chopped cashews or peanuts, optional
- Basil or cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
- 8 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
1 To make Bowls: Cook Romanesco broccoli florets in 8 cups boiling salted water 4 minutes. Drain, and reserve cooking liquid.
2 Bring black rice and 2 cups reserved cooking liquid to a boil in medium saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 18 to 25 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
3 Bring lentils, tom yum paste, and 3 more cups reserved broccoli cooking liquid to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach.
4 To make Sauce: Stir together ingredients in small bowl.
5 Spoon ½ cup rice and ½ cup lentils into each bowl. Top with 1 cup Romanesco broccoli. Sprinkle with 1 Tbs. cashews (if using), garnish with cilantro (if using), and drizzle with 2 Tbs.
Make ahead tip: Store cooked broccoli florets, rice, and lentils separately in fridge up to five days. Stir together coconut-milk sauce just before serving.
- Calories: 467
- Carbohydrate Content: 84 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 12 g
- Protein Content: 26 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 997 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g