This serves 2 hungry people as a main course or 4 people along with other side dishes.
- 14 oz. firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, or more to taste
- 3 Tbs. thinly sliced garlic (about 5 large cloves)
- 4 4-inch-long pieces lemongrass
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed and spears peeled and blanched
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. sugar snap peas or snow peas
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp. red Thai chili paste, or more to taste
- 12 oz. mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 to 4 tsp. finely chopped cilantro, or more to taste, for garnish
Slice tofu into pieces 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch x 2 inches. Place on triple layers of paper towels, top with another triple layer of paper towels and press out excess moisture.
Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and cook for about 5 minutes, turning over once or twice, until golden brown. Using a slotted spatula, remove pieces to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
Add garlic and lemongrass to skillet, and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until garlic becomes fragrant. Using a slotted spoon, remove garlic and discard. Leave lemongrass in skillet.
Cut asparagus spears into 11/2-inch lengths. Add scallions, asparagus and sugar snap peas to skillet, and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add sugar, salt and chili paste, and stir. Add mushrooms and soy sauce, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and have released their juices. Serve hot over rice, and garnish with cilantro.
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 420 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g