This simple soup is packed with flavor.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 small hot green chilies, seeded and halved (optional)
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large lemongrass stalks, peeled and cut into 4-inch pieces
- 3 dried Thai kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. peeled, minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tsp. roasted chile paste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped oyster or white mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
In medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth to a simmer with lemongrass stalks and dried lime leaves if desired.
In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds. When broth has simmered for 5 minutes, remove lemongrass and lime leaves and discard. Add cooked garlic and ginger to broth. Return broth to a boil and stir in chile paste and mushrooms.
Cook until mushrooms have wilted, about 30 seconds, then stir in lime juice and soy sauce. Remove from heat and ladle soup into small bowls.
Top each bowl with a few tomatoes, a little cilantro and a small pinch of hot green chilies if desired.
Alternatively, mix tomatoes and chilies together and place in a small serving bowl. Set on the table for people to help themselves.
- Calories: 27
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 518 mg