Thai Red Curry
Red curry paste is a mixture of classic Thai seasonings ground into a prepared paste. Just check the brand to make sure no fish sauce or shrimp paste has been added to the blend. Pair with a sweet wine, such as Riesling or Gewürztraminer, or a light and fruity red…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Red curry paste is a mixture of classic Thai seasonings ground into a prepared paste. Just check the brand to make sure no fish sauce or shrimp paste has been added to the blend. Pair with a sweet wine, such as Riesling or Gewürztraminer, or a light and fruity red wine. Serve over steamed rice.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (11/2 cups)
- 3 Tbs. red curry paste
- 2 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, cut into thirds and smashed with back of knife
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, smashed
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, or zest of 2 limes
- 1-2 Thai chiles, finely chopped, optional
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 12-oz. can light coconut milk
- 3 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 1 cup trimmed green beans
- 1 cup Thai basil or fresh basil leaves, torn
1. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, curry paste, soy sauce, and garlic, and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, and Thai chile. Sauté 30 seconds, or until combined.
2. Stir in carrots, zucchini, and potato, and sauté 1 minute to coat with curry. Add coconut milk, brown sugar, and 1 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until potatoes can be pierced with tip of knife. Add green beans and simmer 5 minutes more, or until green beans are crisp-tender. Remove lemongrass, ginger, and kaffir lime leaves, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with basil leaves just before serving.
- Calories 132
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5.5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 404 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g