Delicately flavored white miso paste stands in for fish sauce in this classic Southeast Asian starter.
- 3 cups shredded or julienned green papaya
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 5 Tbs. unsalted peanuts, crushed, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (5 tsp.)
- 2 tsp. white miso paste
- 11/2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 15 steamed green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Thai bird chile or 1/2 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tsp. thinly sliced green onion, optional
1. Soak shredded papaya 10 minutes in 3 cups cold water. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, purée lime juice, 1 Tbs. peanuts, garlic, miso, and brown sugar in food processor. Season with salt, if desired.
3. Combine miso mixture with papaya, green beans, and chile in large bowl. Add tomatoes, and mix gently. Sprinkle each serving with 1 Tbs. peanuts and 1 tsp. green onion (if using).
- Calories: 129
- Carbohydrate Content: 17 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 92 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g