Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 8-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment or wax paper. Butter paper, and dust with flour.
- To make Carrot Cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Beat oil, both sugars, baby food, ginger, and vanilla extract until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Add flour mixture in two additions. Add carrots, pineapple, and nuts; beat just until blended. Divide batter between cake pans and bake 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes. Cut around edges to loosen using small knife. Invert cakes onto rack, remove paper, and cool completely.
- To make Frosting: Beat cream until soft peaks form; set aside. Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in whipped cream in 3 additions. Refrigerate.
- To assemble: Up to 4 hours before serving, place one layer on cake platter. Spread 1 cup Frosting over top and cover with second layer. Spread Frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle sides with crushed walnuts, if using.
- Calories 560
- Carbohydrate Content 60 g
- Cholesterol Content 94 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 10 g
- Sodium Content 462 mg
- Sugar Content 44 g