- 1 1/2 cups green beans or yellow wax beans, or combination, trimmed, washed and cut in half diagonally
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. umeboshi vinegar
- 1 Tbs. brown rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 1/3 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 to 6 oz. smoked tofu, cubed
- 4 large iceberg lettuce leaves
Fill medium saucepan (that can be fitted with steamer basket) with 1 inch water. Place steamer basket in pan and put green and/or yellow wax beans in steamer. Bring water to a boil, cover and steam until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Run beans under cold water; drain. Place in 2-quart mixing bowl and set aside.
In 1-quart saucepan, combine onion and vinegars. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add olive oil, cover and let stand 10 to 15 minutes. Add mustard, parsley and garlic.
Add chickpeas and kidney beans to the green and/or yellow beans. Add seasoned onion mixture. Stir to coat. Add tofu and stir again. Arrange lettuce leaves on plate. Spoon bean and tofu mixture over lettuce.
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 16 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 534 mg