Here’s a straight-from-the-pantry soup that’ll become a weeknight favorite. Puréeing one of the cans of beans creates a creamy base without adding extra fat or cholesterol. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese and serve with vegetable chips, if desired.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 15.5-oz. can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 Tbs.)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 15.5-oz. can great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft. Add navy beans, black beans and garlic, and continue cooking and stirring 8 to 10 minutes more. Stir in 1 cup broth.
Meanwhile, put great Northern beans and remaining 1 cup broth into food processor or blender, and purée until smooth. Pour purée into soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth or water, if desired.
Spoon into individual soup bowls, and serve hot.
- Calories: 231
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 557 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g