- 1 Tbs. coriander seeds
- 1 Tbs. cumin seeds
- 3 medium bell peppers (red, orange and yellow), seeded and chopped
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbs. chili powder
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned kidney beans (rinsed if canned)
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned black beans (rinsed if canned)
- 1 3/4 cups cooked or canned white beans (rinsed if canned)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
In large heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add crushed red pepper flakes, coriander and cumin and cook, stirring often, until seasonings darken slightly.
Add peppers, fennel, oregano and chili powder and cook, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and all beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Add water or tomato juice as needed if too much liquid evaporates. Stir in cilantro or parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Serve in shallow bowl, garnished with shredded cheese or yogurt if desired.
- Calories: 286
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 380 mg