Take cherry flavor to the max with this healthy crumble. The filling is sweetened with cherry juice and dried cherries, while the topping is made with whole-wheat pastry flour. (Note: If you want to use tart cherries in this recipe, add 1/2 cup brown rice syrup to the filling ingredients.)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 1 cup cherry juice, pomegranate juice or cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Sesame Seed Topping
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. To make Three-Cherry Filling: Combine fresh cherries, juice and dried cherries in large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cornstarch. Spoon into 9x9-inch baking dish.
3. To make Sesame Seed Topping: Stir together flour and sesame seeds in large bowl. Whisk together vegetable oil, rice syrup and vanilla in small bowl. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture until it clumps together.
4. Crumble topping over cherry filling. Bake 45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 54 g
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 47 mg
- Sugar Content: 25 g