Sunflower and flaxseeds add additional flavor and nutrients to this popular sesame and chickpea puree. Use as a sandwich spread or serve as a dip with triangles of warm pita bread. If any of the seeds are not available, substitute more of the other seeds to make up the difference.
- 1 Tbs. hulled sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbs. flaxseeds or hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 15 1/2-oz. can, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 Tbs. flaxseed oil (optional)
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
In coffee grinder or blender, grind sunflower and flaxseeds to a powder.
In food processor, combine chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, flaxseed oil if using, salt to taste, cayenne and reserved ground seeds. Process until smooth. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency for hummus is reached.
Transfer hummus to small bowl and sprinkle chopped parsley around outer edge and sesame seeds in center.
- Calories: 219
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 6 mg