- To make Filling: Heat oil in 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until very brown. Add bell pepper, and cook 3 minutes more, or until bell pepper is softened. Sprinkle mixture with flour, and stir to coat. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 6 cups water, tomato paste, and garlic. Add black-eyed peas and herb bundle; cover pan, and bring to
a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, or until black-eyed peas are just tender.
- Meanwhile, to make Topping: Warm milk in small saucepan until hot to touch. Remove from heat, and stir in sage. Cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk together egg and cooled milk mixture in large bowl. Stir in cornmeal mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Remove herb bundle from Filling. Stir in mustard, then add kale. Cover pan, and simmer 5 minutes, or until greens are wilted. Add butternut squash, stirring to combine, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in chipotle pepper sauce.
- Remove Filling from heat. Drop Topping over Filling with 2-Tbs. cookie scoop, or roll out on floured work surface, cut into rounds, and place rounds over Filling, covering completely. Bake uncovered 15 minutes, or until Topping is golden brown.
- Calories 206
- Carbohydrate Content 37 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 405 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g