This hearty bread salad is ideal for picnics and cookouts because the longer it sits, the better it gets. Try making it with colorful heirloom tomatoes.
- 1 small loaf French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, diced (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium-size cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into thin ribbons
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
2. Heat oil in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook garlic 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Place all remaining ingredients in large serving bowl. Add olive oil mixture, and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Adjust seasonings if necessary, and serve.
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 29 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 266 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g