Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Think toffee-covered apples are too much trouble? Think again. If you can read a candy thermometer (found in kitchen supply stores), you can make perfect toffee. Brown rice cereal adds crunch to these treats, but you could also roll them in chopped nuts or granola.
1. Line baking sheet with wax paper. Remove stems from apples, if necessary, and push Popsicle stick or chopstick in stem end of apple.
2. Combine sugar and ½ cup water in saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add butter, vinegar, and salt, then simmer over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, or until mixture reaches hard crack stage (290°F) on candy thermometer. Alternatively, boil toffee until tiny amount dripped into bowl of cold water becomes firm.
3. Place brown rice cereal in bowl. Dip apples in toffee, twirling to coat bottom half. Let toffee drip off bottoms before rolling in cereal. Place on prepared baking sheet, and cool. If not eating right away, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate.
- Calories 257
- Carbohydrate Content 58 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 22 mg
- Sugar Content 49 g