30 minutes or fewer
Here’s a tempting excerpt from the brand new Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers by the Moosewood Collective (Clarkson Potter/Publishers). For a variation on this classic Italian dish, serve it over whole wheat pasta instead of with crusty bread.
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Marsala wine
- 1 cake firm tofu (about 16 ounces), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 10 ounces moonlight or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
In a pot on medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil just until it sizzles, then add the bell peppers, oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add the Marsala and the tofu and cook on high heat for 4 minutes to reduce the wine a bit. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and cook on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add the basil and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with plenty of crusty bread to soak up the flavorful broth.
Copyright © 2005 by Moosewood, Inc.
- Calories: 217
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 729 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g