This variation of Greek spanakopita calls for a single layer of puff pastry rather than two of phyllo. Be sure to squeeze the spinach dry.
- 3/4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 lb. fresh prewashed spinach, partially wilted or 2 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach
- 1 lb. firm tofu, well drained
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese, optional
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
2. Chop well-squeezed spinach coarsely, and put into mixing bowl. Press tofu between layers of paper towels to remove liquid. Crumble into bowl. Add onion, garlic, currants, feta cheese, if using, lemon juice, 3 Tbs. olive oil, salt, oregano and pepper. Toss well.
3. Spread mixture over breadcrumbs. Arrange red pepper strips on top. Roll out puff pastry to fit top of pan. Brush with remaining oil.
4. Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories: 530
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 34 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 810 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g