Randie Laine Knoblock is a native of southern California and has just taught her first cooking class featuring healthful, appetizing, and easy-to-make recipes.
- 1 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 2 1/2-inch-thick slabs
- 2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. paprika, divided
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, divided
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1/3 cup assorted brine-cured olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
Place tofu slabs on paper towels to drain. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Cook onion and garlic in oil 10 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. dry mustard; season with salt.
Increase heat to medium-high, and add 1 tsp. oil to skillet. Sprinkle both sides of tofu with remaining paprika and dry mustard; season with salt. Sauté tofu 10 minutes, turning once, or until golden on both sides. Transfer to serving dish.
Reduce heat to medium; melt butter in skillet. Add olives and reserved onion mixture, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in sherry, and simmer 4 minutes, or until liquid reduces by half; sprinkle with oregano. Pour onion mixture over tofu fillets, and garnish with lemon slices and chopped parsley. Serve with rice, if desired.
- Calories: 193
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 8 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 490 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g