Tofu Fried Rice
This tasty vegan meal is packed with protein and practically cooks itself. It’s that easy!
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This dish is packed with heart-healthy soy protein, energizing B vitamins and provides 112 percent of your daily needs for manganese, a nutrient essential to enhancing your body’s own natural antioxidant defense system.
- 12-oz package extra-firm light tofu
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1½ cups cooked brown rice
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. all-natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp. molasses or honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Remove tofu from package, wrap it in paper towels and gently squeeze down to remove excess liquid. Try not to crumble the tofu. Cut into ½″ pieces.
- Heat skillet on medium heat (don’t add oil), and cook tofu, 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add oil to skillet. Sauté garlic and frozen vegetables until fragrant. Add a little water to keep vegetables from sticking. Cover with a lid to steam, about 2 minutes. Add the brown rice and heat through. Mix in half of the scallions and reserve the rest for garnish.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl; mix well. Toss the sauce with the vegetable and brown rice mixture. Add the tofu and mix with the other ingredients to combine flavors. Garnish with remaining scallions.
- Calories 435
- Carbohydrate Content 61 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 23 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 529 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g