Sushi mats are available at Asian groceries or specialty cooking stores, but a double layer of plastic wrap also works.
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 Tbs. brown rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. mirin (rice wine)
- 4 nori (dried seaweed) sheets
- 4 green onions, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and cut into matchstick-size strips
- 4 oz. baked teriyaki tofu, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 2 tsp. hot garlic chile sauce, such as Sriracha
- 1 oz. (16 slices) pink pickled ginger, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
To make Rolls: Bring rice and 2 cups water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar and mirin, and cool.
Place nori, shiny side down, on sushi mat or plastic wrap. Wet fingertips, and spread 3/4 cup rice over nori, leaving 1/4-inch border on long sides. Sprinkle 1 Tbs. green onions over rice. Line several carrot strips, cucumber strips and tofu slices down center. Spoon 1/2 tsp. chile sauce over them. Place 4 slices ginger on top.
Roll nori around filling lengthwise, using mat as an aid. Remove mat. Moisten knife, then cut roll in 8 pieces. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
To make Dipping Sauce: Combine soy sauce, lemon juice and oil in small bowl. Serve with rolls.
- Calories: 266
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 619 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g