Since Norman’s Coach and Horses switched from traditional fish and chips to Tofush and Chips, the demand for the pub favorite has doubled. “People come in specifically for it,” says owner Alastair Choat proudly. In addition to chips (French fries), Norman’s Coach and Horses serves Tofush with minted green peas.
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1 or 2 gherkin or cornichon pickles, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 14-oz. pkg. extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 11/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 nori sheets, halved
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup corn flour or fine cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegan ale
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. To make Tartar Sauce: Blend soymilk, vinegar, and mustard in blender until combined. With motor running, blend in oil. Transfer to bowl, and stir in shallot, capers, gherkin(s), and dill. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To make Tofush: Cut each tofu block into 3 slabs. Stir together wine, lemon juice, and 1 tsp. salt in glass baking dish. Add tofu, and marinate 30 minutes to 1 hour, turning once or twice. Drain tofu on paper towels, and pat dry.
3. Wrap each tofu slab with nori, securing with toothpick.
4. Whisk together flour, corn flour, remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Whisk in ale just until smooth. (Do not overmix.)
5. Pour oil into large Dutch oven, and heat oil until temperature reaches 350°F on deep-fry thermometer.
6. Dip nori-wrapped tofu in batter to coat. Lower each Tofush into oil using slotted spoon, and stir gently to prevent from sticking to pan. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, turning once or twice, or until golden-brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels, then remove toothpicks. Serve with Tartar Sauce and lemon wedges.
- Calories: 390
- Carbohydrate Content: 27 g
- Fat Content: 24 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 303 mg
- Sugar Content: 0.5 g