Fresh herbal overtones boost the flavor of this readyÂ?whenÂ?youÂ?are soup. White beans make a wonderfully creamy base for soups as well as sauces and stews.Meal Plan: Make the soup, then put together a tossed salad of shredded lettuce, finely diced tomatoes and bell peppers and sliced olives. Toss with your favorite natural lowÂ?fat dressing and have each person make his or her own “salad wraps,” using large warmed flour tortillas or soft lavosh wraps.
- 2 (16-oz.) cans cannellini (large white beans), rinsed and drained
- 28-oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 2 scallions (green parts only), chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro or dill or more to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp. salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning mix, to taste
In food processor, puree half of the beans until smooth. Add tomatoes with their liquid and scallions and puree mixture until smooth.
Transfer puree to large saucepan. Stir in remaining beans, broth, cilantro, seasoning mix and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Warm through over low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
- Calories: 226
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Sodium Content: 375 mg