Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
Anjali Lalani, of San Diego, created this curry based on one of her mom’s recipes. Lalani suggests serving it with rice or naan.
1. To make Curry Sauce: Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté 30 seconds. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes more. Add tomatoes, and cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes. Transfer to blender, add yogurt and cashews, and purée until smooth. Return sauce to saucepan, and heat over medium-low heat. Add turmeric and garam masala (if using), and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until thickened.
2. Meanwhile, to make Tofu and Vegetables: Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden-brown. Transfer to plate, and set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in same skillet, add mushrooms, and sauté 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Stir tofu, mushrooms, and peas into Curry Sauce; season with salt, if desired. Cook over low heat 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 46 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g