Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+ Join today!.
- In a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until slightly tender. Add the thyme sachet and garlic and stir until both are aromatic. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the salt.
- Increase the heat to high and add the wine. Allow to boil vigorously for about 10 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds. Add the tomatoes and their juice and the water and bring the contents of the pot back to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, until all of the solids have broken down and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Turn down the heat to low and, using an immersion blender, lightly pulse the contents of the pot until a coarse purée forms. Stir in the mustard, tomato juice, cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons salt, and the pepper and bring to a low simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat.
- TO FREEZE: Let the soup cool to under 70°F on the stove or counter. Transfer to the fridge to chill. Transfer the soup to your preferred freezer vessel. We split it among four quart-size lidded plastic containers, but zip-top plastic bags or vacuum pouches will also work. Label and date and freeze for up to 6 months.
- TO REHEAT: Use your preferred reheat method. You can thaw first, using the pull and thaw method or the cold water method, and then transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Or you can use the microwave, Instant Pot, or sous vide method to reheat directly. For sous vide, set the water bath temperature to 145°F and drop in a pouch. It will take 1 hour to reach temperature. Taste and season to your preference.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with Parmesan, and drizzle with olive oil. Serve hot.
Note: This recipe makes 4 quarts (1 quart serves 2 or 3)
For more on freezing, check out How to Freeze Food
Reprinted from It’s Always Freezer Season. Copyright © 2021 by Ashley Christensen and Kaitlyn Goalen. Photographs copyright © 2021 by Lauren Vied Allen. Published by Ten Speed Press an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.