This savory tart, somewhere between a pizza and a pie, with its free-form crust makes a casual meal served warm.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1/2 lb. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 homemade or prepared pie crust for 9-inch pie
- 4 oz. chevre (goat cheese), crumbled (1 cup)
- 2 tsp. coarsely chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 2 to 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then cut in half
Preheat oven to 450°F. In medium skillet, heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat.
Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer onions to bowl. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened and juices have evaporated, about 6 minutes. Season with pinch of salt and pepper.
Add mushrooms to bowl with onions and mix gently.
Lay dough flat on baking sheet. Distribute onion-mushroom mixture evenly on top, leaving 1-inch border.
Dot with chèvre, and sprinkle with thyme and pepper to taste.
Starting from outer edge of onion mixture, arrange tomato slices on top. Sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper.
Fold pastry over topping, crimping dough every inch or two.
Bake until crust is golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges and serve warm.
- Calories: 260
- Carbohydrate Content: 48 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg