Try this slightly tart sauce folded into homemade quesadillas, dolloped atop braised greens, or served like salsa with a bowl of tortilla chips.
- 4 large beefsteak or red heirloom tomatoes (3 lb.)
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (from 8 cobs)
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers (2 medium bell peppers)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped red onion (1 small onion)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1. Sterilize 4 1-pt. canning jars and lids by boiling jars 10 minutes in large pot of water and simmering new lids in separate small saucepan 15 minutes. Leave jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use.
2. Score shallow X on bottom of each tomato. Working in batches, blanch tomatoes 1 to 2 minutes in large pot of boiling water. Transfer to large bowl of cold water. Remove tomato skins, and chop, reserving tomato juice.
3. Combine tomatoes and their juice and all remaining ingredients in large pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid has reduced and thickened. Ladle hot relish into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Wipe rims, seal with lids, and process sealed jars in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
4. Remove jars from boiling water bath, and cool on counter. When jars are cool enough to handle, test seals. Unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used within 1 month.
- Calories: 44
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Fiber Content: 0.5 g
- Protein Content: 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 66 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g